Monday, November 8, 2010

Nov 7, Prov 7 Highlights

Proverbs 7:1 "My son, keep my words and treasure up my commandments with you; 2 keep my commandments and live; keep my teaching as the apple of your eye; 3 bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart. 4 Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,” and call insight your intimate friend, 5 to keep you from the forbidden woman, from the adulteress with her smooth words."
The treasure of your heart and the apple of your eye. This is talk of affection and deepest devotion. Is it the Word or the world? Is it wisdom or women? May wisdom be written on your heart to avoid such peril (see v. 23 "cost him his life").
Proverbs 7:7 "and I have seen among the simple, I have perceived among the youths, a young man lacking sense, 8 passing along the street near her corner, taking the road to her house 9 in the twilight, in the evening, at the time of night and darkness."
I'd hate to point out that this is one of the only times that the Bible actually uses the word "twilight" but we'll let that slide for now. The young man who "lacks sense" is the one who walks into sexual immorality because he is ignorant, stupid, foolish.
Proverbs 7:25 "Let not your heart turn aside to her ways; do not stray into her paths."

No comments:

Post a Comment